The 14 Best New Year’s Resolutions for Mentally Sharp Seniors in 2014
With a New Year come new beginnings! Here are 14 resolutions to start 2014 mentally sharp and in high spirits!
We often hear that we are what we eat. Eating healthy is key to a healthy body and mental health. Retain your vitality with these simple tips:
- Stay hydrated. Drink at least 8 glasses of water each day. That’s a lot of water! But did you know that a 2% drop in body water can affect your short-term memory? Drink up!
- Maintain a healthy diet with fresh fruits and vegetables. Avoid TV dinners and processed foods. The key here is to eat fresh and cut down on the sodium. 97% of Americans consume too much salt, which puts them at greater risk of heart diseases.
- Take your vitamins, every day. Vitamin C to keep away the colds and Vitamin B to keep your energy up!
- Put more effort and attention to the way you prepare your food. Don’t fry when you can steam. Don’t sauté when you can bake. Less oil, less chance of clogging your arteries!
Stay active and social
Be active, both in exercise and in socially. This releases a chemical called endorphins, which just makes you feel GOOD. Boost your happiness by:
- Meeting new people and making new friends. Young or old – new friends can come in surprising ages and from unfamiliar backgrounds.
- Get involved in your local community. Contribute your wisdom and experience to the young’uns.
- Maintain relationships with friends and family. You can never invest too much.
- Take a walk outside or spend time outdoors in fresh air. Especially if you live in a warm state or where the air is fresh.
- Exercise, exercise, exercise.
Hold Nothing Back
Remember that humor, laughter and play can help manage our stress and keep us feeling good.
- Express yourself! It’s not just for Madonna. It’s for you too. By the way, the Material Girl is 55 years young this year.
- Remember to laugh. It keeps you young and mentally sharp.
- Stay positive and rekindle that childhood sense of wonderment. Smile at simple things.
- Do not be afraid to talk about things that bother you. Maybe they bother others too!
Get a check up
Just because we are older does not mean we are done reinventing ourselves. Seize change and make an effort to be healthy. Be prepared for the road ahead!
- Remember to keep regular checkups with your physician. Aim for a clean bill of health to start the year.
Be awesome in 2014. It’s going to be a great year.